Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Keeping Up With...Family Goals (Sept/Oct Recap & Nov/Dec Goals)

As I mentioned in my fitness goals post yesterday, I've been super busy and overwhelmed and haven't had time to updated these goals blogs.  A lot of the past two months have been dealing with things that are "on fire" and immediate and everything else can just wait.  We did set aside this past weekend to catch up on all the things that have slid around the house so I am making the time to update the goals blogs as well.  However, contrary to the fitness goals where I don't plan to do a lot over the next two months, I do plan to focus a lot on these goals over the next two months.
I also suffered a little bit from an identity crisis the past two months.  I have been a stay at home mom for a majority of the past 10 years and have almost always had a child with me when I do things.  Or I'm working around their schedule and using small amounts of time (nap time, TV shows, preschool, etc) to get my stuff done.  Now I have full days free, just about every day.  I also have a ton of things on my radar to get done, a lot of which I've been putting off for months (maybe years).  I had so much to do and so much time to do it and yet I got nothing done.  I finally figured out what was most important and started there.  I kind of wish I had done my Oct post separately.  I bet I would have gotten focused a lot sooner.  But I'm focused now and ready to kick butt the last 2 months of this year.

I have decided to combine November and December because I know I won't have time to update at the end of November since we are going away around that time.  And I'm not sure what I will do for next year, but I am leaning towards keeping monthly goals for both fitness and family.  I'm considering combining them into one post each month.  But I'm not really sure how it will work out.  For now I'm focusing on having a great time over Thanksgiving, our Disney trip and Christmas!

Here's how I did on my goals for Sept (with some Oct updates too):1.  Make progress on "Americanah" and read one other book (1 book in 1 month) - I did make progress on "Americanah" and I'm about 30% done with it.  I also read two books in the two months - "Everything, Everything" and "Bad Feminist."  I also started "BFG" and read 50% before if was due back to the library.
2.  Have family dinner every Sunday night and use AJ's conversation starters during it (4 dinners for the month) - We have really let this lapse over the past two months.  We have had dinners together most weekends but between the boys playing soccer and football being on TV we haven't really been talking.  We do a good job of talking to each boy every day about what is going on at school so we're still talking, but it's not as focused as this.
3.  Continue doing my week in review blog (5 new posts for the month) - I did 5 recap posts in Sept and 2 in October.  I fell behind on the recaps in October and am working on catching up on those this weekend too.  I'm hoping I'll be caught up by the end of this week.
4.  Continue taking one picture each day and posting on Facebook (30 pictures for the month) - I have kept up to date on these and did 30 in Sept and 31 in Oct.
5.  Watch a movie every Friday night (5 movies for the month) - I watched a ton of movies in September but none in October (balance, right?)  In September I saw "Sing," "Space Jam," "Power Rangers" (twice!), "Suicide Squad," "Bad Moms," and "Rough Night."  In October we did go to the movies to see the "Lego Ninjago" movie but didn't watch any at home.  Mostly because we were busy doing fun fall and Halloween events every weekend.
6.  Have one family board game night (1 special night for the month) - We didn't do this at all over the last 2 months, but we've played a lot of board games in smaller groups.  I've played a lot of games with the boys especially in Oct when they had days off from school.
7.  Start deep cleaning the house (3 rooms this month) - Started a few rooms but didn't finish any
8.  Have fun on my retreat and survive Adrian's trip to Dallas - I survived Adrian's trip to Dallas and he had an amazing time.  I had an awesome retreat weekend with my girlfriends and he survived the weekend.

The other things that we accomplished in October that would have been on my goals for the month were that we had a fantastic time celebrating fall and Halloween.  We went to as many events as our schedule allowed and have 4 huge bags of candy to show for our efforts!  We also finished up a very busy soccer season and each boy had a great time playing.  And I finished my sub application and license.  I just need to go to orientation next month and hopefully I'll be ready to start subbing in the schools in December.
Here's what I'll be focusing on the next two months:
1.  Make a little more progress on "Americanah," finish "BFG" and read "The Bell Jar" (2 books in 2 months)
2.  Catch up and then continue doing my week in review blog (9 new posts for two months)
3.  Continue taking one picture each day and posting on Facebook (30 pictures for Nov, 31 for Dec)
4.  Watch a movie every Friday night we are home (6 movies for two months)
5.  Have one family board game night (1 special night for the two months)
6.  Have a relaxing Thanksgiving weekend - enjoying food, decorating for Christmas & packing for Florida
7.  Have an amazing time in Florida
8.  Have a fun and relaxing Christmas and Christmas break
9. Go to the zoo for Wild Lights
10. Take AJ to see "Wonder" in the movie theater
11. Finish my subbing application and paper work and start subbing in the schools

No comments:

Post a Comment