Monday, January 26, 2015

Keeping Up With...Family (Crowded Sunday!)

We had lots of changes to our schedule this weekend because of Adrian having to work overtime and Zak coming down with a cold.  I missed all of my YMCA training that I was supposed to do and Zak missed swimming lessons on Saturday.  We had a very busy day planned on Sunday and when we went to bed Saturday night we honestly weren't sure if any of it would happen.

Everyone got a good night's sleep and woke up seeming well on Sunday so we decided to go ahead with our plan and got ready to head out for the day.  Our first stop was the NHL All Star Fan Fair for some hockey fun.  We got there and were immediately all overwhelmed with all the stuff to do, loud music and people that were there.  We figured we would just start on one end and work our way around the whole event.

The boys had a lot of fun shooting pucks at goals, playing Foosball hockey, trying on professional uniforms and playing some street hockey.  We also got to see the Stanley Cup (although we didn't wait in the gigantic line to go up and touch it).  And we saw a bunch of mascots including the Geico gecko, the Dallas Stars mascot, the Jersey Devil and the NHL Angry Bird.  We also ate a delicious lunch of hot dogs and pizza, although Daniel was upset there was no funnel cake at this "fair."
Seeing the Weiner-Mobile for the first time
Daniel enjoying his giant hot dog
Dad helping Zak against AJ in a skill drill
AJ & the Dallas Stars mascot
Hockey Angry Bird! 
There were a lot of other stations that we didn't do because it was very crowded and the lines were very long.  The patience of our children would not have lasted in any of those lines.  We made the best of what we could do and had a very good time.  I do wish we could have done a few more things.  We were there for about 4 hours and everyone was ready to leave when we headed out.
After the NHL crowd Fan Fair, we headed to the Columbus Museum of Art to see their Lego exhibit.  Once again we were greeted with a giant crowd!  I was shocked at how many people were there.  I knew it was free admission on Sundays, but this was way more people than I expected.  I talked to one of the docents and she said between the weather and the Lego exhibit closing the past two Sundays they had record breaking crowds.  Good for the museum, not so great for our already tired & crowd weary family.

We decided to stick it out and waited about 45 minutes in line to see the Legos.  There was an exhibit along the way so Adrian took the boys in there for a while while I waited.  They also had about half the wait in a theater so you could watch Lego shorts while you waited in line.  Some of them were pretty cool, and the boys loved them.  We really enjoyed seeing the giant Lego creation the artists made, especially the familiar sights from downtown Columbus.

After we finished there, Daniel wanted to see the rest of the art.  That included us running (literally!) through the other exhibits.  Adrian and I tried to look at some of the paintings and sculptures and show them to the boys, but they were not interested.  We'll try again when they are a little older.

The day really wore us out!  Zak fell asleep on the car ride home and we all went to bed early Sunday night.  The boys got an extra long weekend since today is a snow day.  They were able to sleep in and I didn't see them until almost 9:00 this morning.  Everyone seems to be feeling better so we're ready to tackle our week!

No comments:

Post a Comment