Thursday, May 8, 2014

Keeping Up With...Workouts (Cap City Non Race Recap)

So this isn't a race recap so much as it is my thoughts about why I pulled out of a race.  I love the CapCity Half Marathon.  I have done the 1/4 twice and was finally signed up and ready to do the half this year.  The first 1/4 was my first big race in 2011 and I was hooked after it.  I missed 2012 because I had Zak in Feb of that year.  The second time was last year and while it didn't go according to plan, it was an awesome race.  I love looking at pictures of these 2 races, true before and after pics.
After the race - 2011
After the race 2013

This training season started off rough with horrible weather, sickness and conflicts for my long walk days.  I was also thrown off course when my gym closed (I may have mentioned that before).  But I still felt like I was going to be OK after my 8 mile long walk a few months ago.  I felt great after it and even went and nailed a Zumba audition after it.

Then my Zumba schedule started to fall into place.  And I got a class on Saturday mornings.  I would either have to find a sub for class or miss the race.  Plus I couldn't do my long walks with my MIT group anymore on Saturday mornings so I would have to find another time to do them.  And I know myself, I'm not good at that.  I was debating switching to the 1/4, which I knew I could easily walk without training (which is a great feeling!)

And then I got my current Zumba schedule.  I'm teaching 7 classes per week.  The only day I don't teach is Weds.  And I'm trying to take 2-3 classes from other people each week as well.  That's a lot of exercise.  And not a lot of free time for racing.

Then it came down to economics.  To change to the 1/4 I would have to pay a $20 fee.  Plus I wouldn't be able to teach my class that morning so I'd be out another $20.  Or I could drop out of the race all together and get 1/2 of my entry fee back.  Plus teach class and earn that money.  It was more economical to drop out. 

I really agonized over the decision, but in the end it was the right one.  I taught a great class on Saturday morning and there were 3 new people there that loved it and plan to keep coming.  Zak had a rough sleep weekend so I was up quite a bit and was happy to not have a race on my plate as well.  We have let our house work take a back seat to fun recently and we really had a lot to do this weekend so we were able to get all caught up on that.  And I was involved with the Three Bags Full consignment sale this weekend which I would not have been able to do if I had raced.

I guess that is the problem with signing up for races really far in advance.  While you do save some money on the entry, your plans and goals often change.  I signed up for this race back in June of last year.  A lot has happened in that time.  The biggest thing being, I just really don't love racing long distances.  I'll still do an occasional 5K or 10K, but I think I'm done with longer races.  I just like my workout variety too much to commit to training for anything longer.  Then again, that's what I'm saying now.  Check back in a year to see if I stick to that or finally jump in and do the CapCity 1/2!

Here's how the workouts I did do this week looked:
Wednesday, 4/30 - Took a one hour TBC class
Thursday, 5/1 - Taught two one hour Zumba classes
Friday, 5/2 - Taught a one hour Zumba class
Saturday, 5/3 - Taught a one hour Zumba class (did not do CapCity)
Sunday, 5/4 - No one showed for class so I practiced a new song for about 20 minutes, then did the elliptical for 25 minutes
Monday, 5/5 - Took a one hour Zumba class and taught a 45 minute Zumba class
Tuesday, 5/6 - Again, no one showed up for class so I practiced for 15 minutes, did the elliptical for 15 minutes and rode the bike for 15 minutes

Weigh in:
4/30 weight - 214
5/7 weight - 212
Change - down 2 lbs.

Great week of working out and staying under my calorie goal every single day.  Woot!!  And look at that, I saw the results you would expect, lost 2 lbs.  I'm happy!  Slowly approaching my lowest weight on this journey (I was 207 right before Halloween last year).  Of course we're cheating this weekend for birthday and Mother's Day celebrations, but hopefully the damage won't be too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment