Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Keeping Up With...Fitness Goals (Nov/Dec Recap)

I've already shared my goals for 2018 but I wanted to do a quick recap of where I ended with my family and fitness goals from the past two months.  I decided to start with the family goals because I did pretty good and am happy with where we finished up the year, both me personally and as a family.  As for my fitness goals, I didn't make much progress.  I knew the months would be crazy with holidays, travel, stress, etc so I set the bar pretty low.  And I still didn't even make those goals.  It's disheartening but I'm not letting it stop me.  I'm looking forward to 2018 and I've got a good start and a strong support system so I'm ready to kick butt this year!
So here's how the last two months of the year went and a few thoughts on the whole year:
1.  Maintain my current weight (0 lbs gained in two months) - I actually gained 5 lbs over the two months.  All things considered it's not nearly as bad as it could have been.  I thought the number would be much higher when I weighed in yesterday for a baseline for this year.  I ended the year gaining about 20 lbs which is obviously not what I wanted.  I just could never get my butt in gear to eat right and it showed on the scale big time.  I'm not looking back anymore after this post so that number will only go down from here!
2.  Do my measurements and maintain where I started this year (0 inches in 12 months) - I didn't do my measurements but considering the weight gain and the fact that a huge chunk of my clothes no longer fit I'm guessing I gained some inches.  This goal was actually very stressful for me as I hate trying to do my measurements.  I always encourage my students to do them when the scale isn't moving and I know it's another indication of how I'm doing, but it stresses me out.  I'm tabling this for right now and judging solely on the scale and how my clothes fit.  If I hit a plateau this year, I may do measurements so I can see how my body is changing.
3.  Learn 4 songs to add to my Zumba classes (4 songs in 2 months) - I learned and added three songs in the two months:  "Stayin' Alive," "Wobble," and "I Wanna Dance."  I also relearned a few of my old choreos for the student choices in December.  I didn't teach a lot in the two months and was so busy with other things that I didn't stress out about new music.  Honestly I think I did a pretty good job this year of changing up my classes each week and keeping my students happy.  I am signed up for two jams already in 2018 so that will ensure more new choreo in Jan and Feb for my classes.
4.  Exercise as often as possible - I managed to exercise 24 days in the two months, which is pathetic since it's not even half of the days.  But 24 days is more than 0 days and I know being as active as I was helped keep the number down somewhat.  My goal is to exercise that many days in Jan (at least!) so I have no doubt I'll be kicking butt on this goal this year!
5.  Use MyFitnessPal to track my meals for 30 days of the two months - I tracked for 6 days.  Awful!  I have no excuses, I was honestly just lazy.  I didn't feel like tracking.  I'm back at it this year and I know I will do better this year with it.  I've already tracked for 2 days in Jan, that's 1/3 of what I did the past three months!  I still love MFP although I have been considering a jump to Weight Watchers for a change.  Right now we can't afford it but if our finances change in the way we are hoping they will it may be an option for me in a few months.
6.  Continue to use essential oils in my water everyday and diffuse them as well to boost the whole family's immunity, especially before Disney - I actually did this every day over the past two months!  I used the oils in my water and diffused them most days.  I'm not sure if it helped boost our immunity, we all got a stomach virus the week before Disney.  But at least we only got that virus over the past 2 months when there is a ton of crud going around!  And it was a 24 hour thing that we all bounced back from very quickly so I'm assuming that was also due to the increased immunity.

So that's a wrap on my 2017!  I'm so excited for 2018, I really think this is going to be a great year for me fitness wise.  I haven't been this excited about my own health and fitness journey in a long time.  Maybe I needed to have the few steps back this past year to take these huge leaps forward this year. 
Here's to a great 2018!!

No comments:

Post a Comment