Monday, June 30, 2014

Keeping Up With...Family (Vacation Part 4)

So those who know me, know I like order.  I like schedules.  I don't like to change the plan.  That was not what happened this vacation.  If you missed the beginning of the story, you can check out Part 1 and Part 2 and Part 3.

Wednesday as we were visiting friends, we saw the weather forecast.  They were calling for bad storms Thursday night into Friday.  We had lots of outdoor plans, plus we were concerned about the tent in the high winds.  We decided we would pull up stakes on Thursday morning and if we couldn't figure anything else out, we would head back to Ohio a few days early. 

Thankfully our friends said we could stay with them Thursday night so our Thursday went on as planned.  We packed up our site, checked out and headed to Seaside for the day.  We met up with my mom and Pop there.  The boys loved playing in the water, even though we weren't dressed for it.  We got our clothes wet and didn't care.  After we got our water fix, we walked the boardwalk for a while, got some ice cream, and went to an arcade to play some games and use the tickets the boys won on Monday.  When we finished up there, we grabbed a few slices and then headed back to Pop's to spend a little more time with him.

Beach Selfie!
The boys & I jumping waves - SO fun!!

Pop and the boys
AJ & Daniel with some of their winnings - Superman & Picachu
This was my first trip to Seaside since Sandy and then the fire a year later.  It was really sad to see the whole pier in Seaside Park not be there.  I'm not sure I can put it into words.  I just kept looking over there and seeing no boardwalk, no rides, no clam bar.  We also drove around a little and saw houses that were still being rebuilt.  I was happy to part with a little more money than I normally would have there to help stimulate the economy and get everyone back on their feet.

After we finished up with Pop, we headed over to visit our family friends, the Triggs family.  Barbara and Ed were nice enough to offer us their basement to crash for the night so we could stay dry.  We had a delicious dinner and drinks with them, watched TV, played video games and enjoyed a hot bath and shower the next morning thanks to them.  We also celebrated my Mom's birthday a little early with here.  Carvel cake - my favorite!!
Happy Birthday Mom/Nana!
We all retired pretty early Thursday night, I think the week was starting to catch up with all of us, especially Zak.  He was a bit of a mess Thursday night, but he loved chasing the Triggs' dog around.  I can't speak for everyone, but I slept amazing that night.  My head hit the pillow and I was out until Zak woke me up around 7:30 the next morning.  It rained pretty hard all night, so I'm glad we made the decision to pull up the tent and sleep in a house.  We can't thank Barbara, Ed and Caitlyn enough for taking us in that night!!
How I found Daniel when I went to bed Thursday night.  I moved him back on the couch & he never even woke up!
I think I'll end here for this part and finish up later this week with part 5.  Friday was an interesting day and deserves some time to explain.

No comments:

Post a Comment