Thursday, April 17, 2014

Keeping Up With...Workouts (Lady Tutu Recap)

Back in August I did the first annual Lady Tutu 5K race and loved it.  When Speedy Sneakers started planning this year's race, I was thrilled when they asked me to be an ambassador again.  I love this race and the company that runs it so I will happily promote the race.

Disclaimer - I did receive a free race entry and a free tutu to promote the race, but all opinions are my own.

This year the race was much earlier in the year, and they were nice enough to schedule it on my birthday weekend.  They also changed the location from Creekside to Easton.  I was super excited to do this as part of my birthday celebration!

The group ended up being a little smaller this year, I think a lot of people were busy since it was spring break and nervous about how cold the winter has been.  It was me, my Mom, my SIL Sarah, and friends Angie & Birgit.  We met up early on Saturday morning and were freezing waiting for the start.
Sarah, me, Birgit & Mom freezing before the race
It was great to see so many women there that morning, the race sold out and had almost 1,100 women registered to race.  There were so many cute outfits and tutus, I loved seeing them all!  They announced we would be starting soon, so everyone made their way to the start line.  We started right on time and Sarah, Birgit and my mom took off running!  Angie and I fell into a nice pace and started chatting.  As always with a small race, people were lined up wrong, we were getting passed by runners and passing slower walkers.  But after about 1/2 mile things evened out and we were in a very nice groove.

I decided again not to "race" this race but just enjoy it and hang with my friend.  We did the race together in August and finished in just over an hour.  I knew Angie had been working hard and was confident we would finish in under an hour.  The course was really nice, we walked all through the Easton area and got to see all the shops before they were open for the day.  It was a pretty easy course, relatively flat and straight forward.

Angie and I were walking and talking and around the halfway point, we really found a nice groove.  I think it took us that long to get our legs warmed up.  Around mile 2 we passed the finish line, so it was nice to see women crossing and getting medals as we walked by.  Then we made our final turn and could see the finish line.  We finished right around 50 minutes, which turned out to be an 18 minute PR for Angie.  I was SO excited for her and proud of her!

We met up with my mom, who stopped running after a minute or 2 and finished about 5 minutes before us and Sarah and we all headed to Northstar to warm up and enjoy a yummy breakfast.
Me & Angie after the race
Sarah, Mom & Me with our medals
I really love this race & would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a fun 5K.  The race is well run, the shirts & medals are nice.  Speedy Sneakers runs a great race.  They are doing 2 more Lady Tutu races this year, one in Toledo in June and one in Cincinnati later this summer.  If you are in either area, look into it and sign up with your girlfriends.  Then grab your tutus and get ready for a fun morning!!

Here's how the past week of workouts has looked for me:
Wednesday, 4/9 - Took Beth's TBC class, only made it 40 minutes due to a dirty diaper
Thursday, 4/10 - Took one hour Plyo Fit class (am) and taught a one hour Zumba class (pm)
Friday, 4/11 - Taught one hour Zumba class
Saturday, 4/12 - Taught one hour Zumba class
Sunday, 4/13 - No one showed for my Zumba class so I did 20 minutes on the elliptical and then cleaned my entire house
Monday, 4/14 - Took a one hour Zumba class
Tuesday, 4/15 - planned rest day

Weigh in:
3/26 weight - 219
4/9 weight - 215
Change - down 4 lbs

I lost the 4 lbs I gained last week.  Now if only I could keep it going in this direction.  I'm hoping to not go to crazy with Easter this weekend, but I've already dipped into the candy.  Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment