Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Keeping Up With...Family Goals (May Recap & June Goals)

May was a pretty great month around here!  We had a lot of fun, did a lot of celebrating and also got a lot accomplished.  We are trying really hard to not spend the whole weekend "working" around the house while the kids are pretty much on their own.  Our goal is to have one day where we work and the other day while we play.  We will try to do this at least thru the fall, hopefully even longer.
My goals were also pretty spot on for the month, some of them I actually exceeded.  I feel like these goals are really helping me focus my energy around the house and around the family.  A lot of the ongoing goals have become a habit for all of us including reading every day, watching movies every Fri and having a conversation starter every Sunday.  It's been a nice shift in our priorities - from all over the place to focusing on our family unit.

Here's how I did with my May goals:
 1.  Finish "Hungry Heart" and "We're All Damaged" (2 of my 14 books for the year) - I finished "We're All Damaged" and about 60% of "Hungry Heart" before I had to return it to the library.  So I took out "Shopaholic to the Rescue" and finished that in about a week.  It was a super fun and light read and I couldn't put it down!  I can't believe I finished two books this month.  I'm well on my way to crushing my goal of 14 books this year.
2.  Have family dinner every Sunday night and use AJ's conversation starters during in (4 dinners for the month) - We did this every weekend in May, we moved a few to other nights because of commitments on Sundays.  We talked about one thing we would change about the day, what we liked about the weekend (celebrating Mother's Day & Adrian's birthday), headline news about our week and best part about the previous school year & what we're looking forward to this summer.
3.  Continue doing my week in review blog (4 posts for the month) - I actually published 7 for the month of May because I was behind a week in April that I split into two weeks.  And I also split the last week of May because there was so much going on!
4.  Continue taking one picture each day and posting on Facebook (31 pictures for the month) - 31 for the month, on track for the year.
5.  Watch a movie every Friday night (4 movies for the month) - We saw Guardians of the Galaxy, Piglet's Big Movie, and American Hustle for our at home movie nights.  We missed a Friday because Adrian & I went to the NKOTB concert.  But we did see Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2 in the theater so I'm still counting this as a completed goal.
6.  Have one family board game night (1 special night for the month) - We did this a few times this month.  We played a ton of board games both Mother's Day weekend and Memorial Day weekend.  And threw a few in on other nights this month.  It was a board game extravaganza over here!!
7.  Have fun during our family camping trip in Hocking Hills - We ended up cancelling this due to cold weather and sickness.  We decided not to camp only to hike early in the week when we saw how cold it would be.  Then that morning we got up and Daniel had a stomach bug so he stayed home with Zak and I while Adrian and AJ went hiking.  They had a great time and took a ton of pictures.  I'm a little bummed I still haven't been to Hocking Hills.
I pretty much crushed every goal this month and I'm proud of myself!!  Now that it's summer I've been debating if my goals should increase or decrease.  The thing about these goals is that they are fun so I think I'll add a few more for the summer months.  I'm so excited to have nearly 3 months off with the boys!!

Here are my goals for June:
1.  Finish "Hungry Heart" and "The Odds of Loving Grover Cleveland" (2 of my 14 books for the year)
2.  Have family dinner every Sunday night and use AJ's conversation starters during it (4 dinners for the month)
3.  Continue doing my week in review blog (5 posts for the month)
4.  Continue taking one picture each day and posting on Facebook (30 pictures for the month)
5.  Watch a movie every Friday night (5 movies for the month)
6.  Have one family board game night (1 special night for the month)
7.  Do one activity each week that AJ picks (4 special activities)
8.  Do one activity each week that Daniel picks (4 special activities)
9.  Do one activity each week that Zak picks (4 special activities)
10.  See Captain Underpants as a family in the theater

No comments:

Post a Comment