Saturday, March 4, 2017

Keeping Up With...Fitness Goals (Feb Recap & March Goals)

 
Even though February is the shortest month of the year, it seemed to take forever this year.  We were crazy the entire month, some good crazy, some not so good.  All of the crazy obviously impacted my goals for the month.  I was very busy the beginning of the month getting ready for the two birthdays and Valentine's Day.  I missed one barre class to just shop for the full 3 hours I don't have kids in the morning.  I'm thankful I did that because things were crazy enough and if I had to squeeze in all of that shopping, I would have been losing my mind.

I thought I would make up some of the progress I lost fitness wise in the second half of the month, but that didn't happen either.  We had a horrible head cold go through our house that knocked me out for almost a week, plus I missed a few days because of sick kids.  When we all got healthy, I was ready to refocus with about 10 days left in the never ending month and I threw my back out.  That injury had me on the couch for a full week.  I hated it!  I'm thankful for all of the help I had that week, especially Adrian for stepping up around the house & all of the people who subbed my classes for me.

So with all of that stuff happening, my fitness goals for this month really suffered.  I'm glad I kept the bar low for the month, I actually hit a few of the goals for February.  We're a few days into March, but I did figure out & draft my goals on the 1st.  I just didn't have time to write out a whole blog post.  I've already started working on my March goals and am excited to be back to moving and eating right!
 
Here are my specific goals for Feb and how I did:
1.  Maintain my weight for the month (0 pounds gained) - Fail - 5 lbs gained.  I'm not surprised by this and I'm actually thrilled it wasn't more.  My diet was mostly cake, pizza and bread for this month.  Couple that with a lot less movement and a gain was inevitable.  Focusing on the fact that it wasn't that big and that I know I can get it off quickly. 
2.  Maintain my inches for the month (0 inches gained) - I did my measurements on the 4th and I had 0 inches gained.  I'm shocked that I hit this goal, especially considering goal number 1.  I'm assuming this is because I'm doing a lot of strength training so some of it is an increase in muscles.
3.  Go to one barre class each week to continue to improve my skills (4 classes for the month) - I made it to 2 classes for the month.  I'm disappointed I didn't make it to more, but glad I got to a few.  It's going to be very hard to get to barre classes with my current schedule, I will have to take any opportunity that I have!
4.  Learn 2 new Zumba songs to add to my classes (2 songs for the month) - I only learned one new song "El Cepillo."  I introduced a bunch of old songs to new students though so that takes some time plus I didn't want to overwhelm them because for them the "old" songs are actually "new."  I also subbed a Toning class so I had to remember enough songs for that class.
5.  Switch up one circuit for my barre connect class each week (4 new circuits) - I changed 3 circuits this month which isn't bad since I missed two of these classes due to my back injury. 
Here are my specific goals for March:
1. Lose 2 lbs/week (8 pounds lost for the month) - I think this is very manageable
2. Lose 1 inch for the month (1 inch lost for the month) - Also manageable, especially with all of the strength training I'll be doing
3. Exercise a minimum of 30 minutes every day this month - This actually morphed into a Lent challenge and I'll do doing 30 minutes of exercise everyday until Easter.
4.  Go to one class that I'm not teaching each week (4 classes for the month) - This will help with goal number 3.
5.  Learn 3 new Zumba songs to add to my classes (3 songs for the month) - I already have 2 that I'm working on so I'll just need to figure out one more.
6.  Switch up two circuits for my barre connect class for the month & add band work to class (2 new circuits) - I really want to use the band in this class!  I'm hoping I can figure out exercises for this and goal number 6 at the same time.
7.  Split up my Silver Sneakers exercises to teach 2 different classes each week - I'm now teaching 4 mornings every week and I don't want to do the same class each day.  I'm hoping to come up with enough exercises to do a class for Mon/Tues and a call for Weds/Thurs.  They are at different places so they will be different people so I think this will help them as well.

All in all, February wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.  I have a lot of work to do to hit my March goals though.  I may be a bit over ambitious but I really want to accomplish all of these goals this month.  Come back early next month to see how I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment