Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Keeping Up With...Workouts (Zumba Jam!)

I'm coming up on my one year anniversary of being a licensed Zumba instructor and I finally was able to attend my first jam session this past Saturday.  A jam session is where a group of Zumba instructors (ZINs) get together to learn specific choreography for 2-5 songs.  It is a great way to meet other instructors, improve your skills and learn new songs to keep your play list fresh.  I have been interested in going since I became an instructor but either commitments, location or money have kept me from attending.

This Saturday the stars finally aligned and I had the three hour block free plus it was only about a 20 minute drive from my house.  I double checked on the timing with Adrian and signed up!  This session was a rhythm specific jam, meaning we would learn how to do all the steps in that rhythm (reggaeton) and then learn 2 songs with those steps.  I love the reggaeton songs and thought they would be a good addition to my class.

I loved everything about the jam this past weekend.  I got to meet a bunch of other ZINs, including one who will be working with me at the downtown YMCA.  I learned the two songs and love them both!  I'll be adding one this week (Bate Bate by BIP) and one next week (Pa Kum Pa by Daddy Yankee).  I enhanced my reggaeton skills and saw some other new moves that I will be trying to incorporate into my routines.  And I left feeling sweaty, sore and excited!  This will definitely not be my last jam session!!

Here is how the rest of my week looked:
Wednesday, 7/16 - Rest day
Thursday, 7/17 - Taught two one hour Zumba classes
Friday, 7/18 - Taught a one hour Zumba class
Saturday, 7/19 - Taught a one hour Zumba class, then did the 3 hour Zumba jam
Sunday, 7/20 - REST!
Monday, 7/21 - Taught a 45 minute Zumba class
Tuesday, 7/22 -Practiced my new Zumba songs for about 20 minutes, rode the bike for 20 minutes

And the weigh in:
716 - 214
7/23 - 215
Change - up 1 lb this week

This is fantastic considering what I ate this past week!!  I had fried foods, pot lucks and just bad eating decisions for most of the week.  I credit all the working out for the fact that I "only" gained one pound!  I didn't get much variety in this week, although the Zumba jam was different than my class.  I missed barre class last night because I'm feeling a little overwhelmed with all I have going on and just felt it was better to finish my grocery shopping and get some stuff done around the house.  Continuing to do what I can, when I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment