Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Weekly Workouts & Race Recap

I started out my New Year with a 5K walk, First on the First in Westerville.  I did this race last year and had a great time so I knew I wanted to do it again this year.  It's a nice, flat, easy course and it doesn't start until 11:00am so no getting up early.  It's not far from home & it is very well run.

I was super excited this year because it would be the first race that I was doing with my walking buddies since this summer.  There were lots of injuries over the last 5 months of the year and we weren't able to walk much together at all.  We met up before the race in the community center & bundled up to head out to the start line since it was pretty cold.

Ready to walk!
 We headed out right at 11:00 and I felt great!  The start line was pretty crowded but we weaved our way thru and found a nice pace.  It was freezing at first but before we hit mile one my hat was off and soon after that my jacket was open.  I think at one point I even took my coat off, then we turned a corner & the wind hit me & the coat went back on.  The course is part roads and part paved trails thru Heritage Park.  It was really beautiful out there that day.
We look so happy to be racing!

Another shot of the 4 of us
The miles passed super quickly, mostly because we were chatting and catching up the whole time.  I felt great thru the whole thing, no pain in my foot or knee and didn't even feel tired when we were done.  I was happy about that since I haven't been walking much.  This race also kicked off my half marathon training plan.

We finished right around 50:00.  It was not my fastest time, but considered how little training I've been doing, I'm super excited.  We got our medals, some water & headed inside for more free stuff.  They had tacos for everyone, but they didn't sound good to me at all so I skipped them.  Very fun morning race!!  Looking forward to many more races with my girls this year.  Special thanks to Dana and Kim for coming out to cheer us on!
We're done!!
Other than that, this week has been pretty typical with lots of Zumba.  I couldn't leave the house for two days because of the extreme temperatures, but I still managed to work out both days.  I was able to try out my new kick boxing DVDs (more on that another week).  I also took my first Barre class, I'll go back for more next week (more on that soon too).

Here's how the week looked:
Wednesday, 1/1 - First on the First 5K, official time 50:38
Thursday, 1/2 - Taught a one hour Zumba class, cancelled pm class due to snow
Friday, 1/3 - Last second sub to teach a one hour Zumba class
Saturday, 1/4 - First 45 Barre class, 30 minute parent participation soccer class with Zak
Sunday, 1/5 - Took an hour Zumba class with a new instructor, whom I loved
Monday, 1/6 - Practiced 2 new Zumba songs, 2 mile Walk Away the Pounds DVD, 20 minute kick boxing DVD
Tuesday, 1/7 - Practiced 2 new Zumba songs, 20 minute kick boxing DVD

Weigh in:
1/1 weight - 225
1/8 weight - 218
Down 7 pounds this week, yay!!  It's amazing what a little exercise and clean eating can do.

How were your workouts this week?  What did you do during the extreme cold spell we had to still stay active?

No comments:

Post a Comment