Friday, April 3, 2020

Keeping Up With...2020 Goals (First 3 Months Recap)

Wow, where do I even start with this year?? It has been crazy so far and we're only three months in.  Anyone reading this knows that we are currently pretty much quarantined in our houses trying to flatten the curve of COVID-19.  It has been a crazy and scary time here for the past month or so and it's far from over.  But even before that, things were crazy here for us.  After a December that had kids sick nearly every day, January started off great and then 2 weeks in I was hit with a horrible fever and sore throat which was eventually diagnosed as walking pneumonia.  I'm just finally finished with the cough from that, and may have had either another cold on top of it or my allergies started early and horrible this year!

It has also been super busy around here, at least for the first 10 weeks of the year.  We hit the ground running when we went back to school in January from winter break and we did not stop.  AJ and Zak played basketball and continued with Scouts.  Daniel started a weekly art class at the local art college.  Zak joined another bowling league.  I was subbing in the subs four days a week most weeks and teaching at least 9 group fitness classes each week (sometimes as much as 13 classes in one week!)  And Adrian was working at ton of overtime as a result of a promotion at work.  These are all great things and we were happy and moving along, but it didn't leave a lot of free time at all.  This blog has taken a huge hit, I haven't been able to keep up with it at all.

Now we're all home all the time.  Have been for the past 3 weeks.  And you know what?  I still don't have as much time as I would like.  Some of it is definitely me not using my time wisely or productively.  But some of it is me making the choice to play a game with the kids or Adrian, watch some TV, go outside for a walk or just sit and do something mindless.  I've decided that is all OK too.  I'm going to do my best to get a ton accomplished over this time that we are forced to stay at home, as well as making sure the kids are doing all of their school work (which is a full time job!)  But if it doesn't all get done, that's OK too.  I'll take it one day at a time and see where it goes.

Below are my goals for the year.  Some of them will be revised as the year goes on, as always.  Some of them can't be achieved this year already and that is OK with me.  I'll talk about some of them as I go, some of them I'm leaving as is and may have to change as the months go on, depending how long we have to stay at home.  I may add new ones if this goes on much longer because I will be getting creative in the house for sure!!

Here are my goals for 2020 and how I'm doing.  The blue ones are new goals, crossed out ones are revised goals and red ones are done (none so far).

  • Lose 25 pounds - So I had lost 7 pounds in the first 10 weeks of the year, then we were quarantined and I stopped exercising and started eating all the things.  Plus we changed scales so now I don't even know where I am compared to the start of the year.  I'm calling it neither a gain nor loss and starting fresh in April to try to still hit this goal!
  • Exercise for 20 minutes every day - I've exercised 75 days so far this year!!  I'm pretty proud of doing so many days of exercise so far this year.  This includes a week long stop for pneumonia and a week long stop for stress/depression/laziness when quarantine started.
  • Finish 12 exercise related calendar challenges - I finished January, February and March so far!  It has really helped with my strength and toning to be doing these.  I'm 100% planning on keeping this up and have already picked my April challenge!
  • Do 30 40 Bible Plans in the You Verse app - I've finished 10 so far so this original goal may be a little low.  I'm bumping it up to 40 this month to see how that goes.  I'm in the middle of a 40 day plan for Lent right now which is great to read the life of Jesus in the days leading up to Easter.
  • Read "A Little God Time for Women" - 91 days done, on track to finish this goal
  • Read 20 books - I've finished 2 books so far "The Upside of Falling Down" and "A Beginner's Guide to Free Fall."  Both were great!!  I'm reading a lot more now that we're home all the time so I think this number will increase quickly in the next few months.
  • Read the 12 How to Train Your Dragon Books - I read the first 6 last year and started book 7 in March, should finish it in April.
  • Read "Feminine Mystique" - I have read 21% so far this year.  I'm trying to read 10% per month but it's hard because I don't really like the book.
  • Write 45 meal plan blogs - I've only done 5 blog posts so far this year.  This goal has really gone by the wayside because I was so busy and now I'm basically just using up what I have.  I have still been meal planning each week but just haven't been blogging about it.  I'll try to get back to it this month.
  • Write 52 weekly summary blogs - I've only done 9 blog posts so far this year, I'm missing quite a few weeks.  I have a bunch that are half written, I just need to sit down and finish them.  That is definitely a goal for this month as well.
  • Write 12 4 goal recap blogs - Well clearly I won't make this original goal!  My new revised goal is to update once each quarter.  I think I might have a better chance of keeping up in the next few months since I'm not working, but I'm honestly still really busy with the kids and I'm giving myself a lot of grace so we'll see how that goes.
  • Pay off $5,000 of credit card debt - We've paid off $2,400 of our debt so far, but then incurred another $3,000 for our new living room furniture.  We were on a great path and thought we'd pay off significantly more than that this year, however I am now unemployed for an unknown period of time so I'm not sure we'll be able to keep up our aggressive payoff play.
  • Renovate the boys' bedrooms - We are currently deep cleaning the whole house & then will focus on this.
  • Finish my daily to do list every night - I did about 20 days in January and tried to reset in February but I don't think there was a day that I finished everything.  Then March has been all over the place.  There have been a few days where I finished everything but most days I did not.  I'm focusing on really using my time wisely and making this a priority in April.
  • Watch 50 movies - We've watched at least 14 movies so far, I think I may have forgotten a few.  The list so far this year includes:  "Paddington," "Captain America," "Pokemon: Power of Us," "The Avengers," "Iron Man 3," "Thor: The Dark World," "Captain America: Winter Soldier," "Guardians of the Galaxy," "Sonic," "Ratatouille," "Wall-E," "Jumanji: The Next Level," "Batman vs Superman" and "Pirates of the Caribbean."
  • Go on 12 dates with Adrian - We've gone on 2 dates so far this year, a wine tasting and dinner at Condado and a double date for a wine tasting and dinner at Beer Barrel with one of Adrian's friends from work.  We had a few other dates scheduled in March, but they will have to be rescheduled for after quarantine.  We have been spending a lot of time together at home doing things so it's still a win in my book!
  • Sub 80 days in the schools - I've subbed 21.5 days so far since January.  Unfortunately this goal is on hold until schools reopen, or possibly next year.  This is a huge financial hit to us right now that I am out of work, but we are confident it will all work out.  I'm keeping this goal as is because whenever school is back, I will be working my butt off to sub as much as possible!
  • Go to 6 Zumba jam sessions - I haven't gone to any in person but have done 3 mini-jams at home.  All of the in person ones have been cancelled or postponed.  They are doing virtual ones but since my income is non-existant I am holding off on those for right now.
  • Clean out master bedroom - We are currently deep cleaning the whole house & then will focus on this.
  • Play 1 game with Adrian each week - I have done this all 13 weeks so far!  And the past 3 weekends have been more than one game and sometimes more than one day.  We have played a ton of board games while quarantined and I don't see that stopping.  I'm also committing to learn new games which Adrian is happy about!
  • Play Pandemic Legacy: Season 2 with Adrian once per month - We played 2 prep games, then finished January, February and March.  This season is harder and we have lost a few (both prep games & one in February).  Honestly it's also not as fun when we are living in an actual pandemic!
  • Play Machi Koro Legacy with the boys - We have played all 3 months so far and are having a great time playing this game as a family!!
  • Have 6 nights out with friends - I had one scheduled but it cancelled due to the quarantine.  I've done 2 video chats with friends so far during this so I'm counting those as 1 night out because I really had to force myself to make the time to do those.
  • Go on an awesome family vacation to the Outerbanks - Hopefully this is still happening!!
  • Do 100 fun family things (one thing each week during school & one thing per person each week over the summer) - We did 11 fun things so far this year and obviously this is on hold for right now.  We are still having fun, it's just a different kind of fun right now.  I'm hoping we can still get close to this goal by having an epic summer, but we'll have to wait to see what is opened back up.
  • Go on 2 family camping trips - hopefully this can still happen!!
  • Deep clean the whole house - Since we are all home all the time now, we are taking 20-30 minutes each day to really deep clean and purge the house together as a family.  So far we have cleaned the loft, 2 bathrooms upstairs, stairway and hallway.  We are almost done the kitchen and downstairs bath as well.  We have the 3 bedrooms and playrooms left to tackle in April.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment