Saturday, January 5, 2019

Keeping Up With...Food (Meal Plan for Jan 6 - Jan 12)

After a nice long break, I am back to meal planning.  We had a great holiday season with lots of good food.  I cooked a bunch around Christmas, then have pretty much taken off the last week and a half.  We've been eating leftovers, frozen food or eating out.  Adrian has cooked a few meals in there as well.  He made homemade pizza so he could use his new pizza rocker and he also cooked our traditional New Years Day dinner of pork and sauerkraut with a side of pierogies this year.  Everything was really good!!
But now it is time to reign our eating in and focus on eating healthy again.  We also need some variety in our food because I am sick of eating turkey and turkey leftovers!!  I have cooked 3 turkeys since mid-November so we've pretty much consistently been eating turkey leftovers.  I'm getting back to planning a week in advance and also trying to get some really good variety in our meals.  I'll aim for one pork, one beef, one chicken, one fish/seafood, one pasta and one soup each week.  I'll also probably still have one leftover day each week to keep the leftovers in check...and give me a day off if I need it.  And finally I'm going to try to use my instant pot at least once each week if not more.

Here's what we're eating this week:
Sunday - Leftovers
Monday - Chipotle Turkey Chili
Tuesday - Taco Tuesday (I'm making beef, chicken & shrimp so we have protein leftover for lunches)
Wednesday - Garlic Shrimp Alfredo over Spaghetti Squash in my instant pot
Thursday - Squash and Kale Pasta
Friday - Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Peppers
Saturday - Instant Pot Smothered Pork Chops with Roasted Brussels Sprouts

Water Flavor - I will be trying plum this week because I have some that are on the verge of turning and I want to use them up.  I've never tried them before so I'm interested to see how it goes.

Overnight Oats - I took a break from these for a while too and I'm noticing the difference.  I'm hungry earlier in the day and I'm eating more.  I'll be using some of the flavored yogurts I have to get us started and then will be restocking all of my ingredients this week.  If I need more as the week goes on I'll probably do chocolate because it's so good and it feels like it's a dessert but it's actually a healthy breakfast!

Use it Up - We've been living this challenge for the past two weeks so we are looking forward to eating new food, ha!  I do have a butternut squash, spaghetti squash & brussels sprouts to use up so I made sure to include them in my planning this week.  I also planned the chipotle chili for before Christmas but since everything is in cans (or the freezer) I decided not to make it and will be using what I have to make it on Monday so I don't "have to" get to the grocery store on Monday.  I am planning on it though since I'm not currently subbing that day.

Lunches - I'll be eating salads all week to try to get back on track.  I have some lunch meat to add to them and I'll be over cooking on Tuesday so I have a lot of protein to add to the salads.

No comments:

Post a Comment