Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Keeping Up With...2018 Goals (Nov/Dec Recap)

Well once again time got away from me and what was supposed to be a monthly blog post turned into two months into one, plus a year end recap.  December was super busy for me between working a lot, the holidays and our normal busy schedule.  Plus Adrian worked a bunch of overtime so he wasn't here to help most nights.  But we made it thru and had some fun in the process.  My goals were not a focus so I'm not going to be surprised to see that a few of them were not hit.  I'm choosing to see the good as I did hit a lot of the goals.  And right before the ball dropped Monday night, we were talking with the boys and they said the past year was "epic" so I'm calling it a win.

I'm going to update you on how I did the last two months of the year and comment a little on my thoughts on the year as a whole, as well as giving myself a grade for the year.  Next year I'm going to do my goals differently, I'm going to just make a list of what I want to work on with measurable goals.  I will update it each month and add to it or change it as needed.  I'm hoping that works better.  Here's how I did on my goals last year.

1. Lose 50 10 pounds (2018 Grade: F)
  • Meal plan each Sunday - I did 5 posts over the two months.  I took off some time around the holidays but will be jumping back in this week!
  • Count calories for 21 days this month - I probably only counted for about 10 days over the two months.  I really slacked at this goal at the end of the year and it showed on the scale.
  • Go to two classes this month that I am not teaching - Nope.  Didn't get to any.  I did sub a lot in these two months which made it hard to make time to go to other classes but I need to do some kind of exercise on the days that I'm subbing too, balance will be key!
  • Lose 1 pound this month - I gained 13 pounds in the last two months & ended the year up 5 pounds.  This was not at all what I wanted.  I know what I did wrong.  I just need to fix it now.
2. Read 20 books again (2018 Grade: B+)
  • Finish 3 books - I finished "Bossypants" "All I Ever Wanted" and "How to Be a Pirate" in the past two months.  I have also read about 50% of "The Beauty Myth," 50% of "Beloved" and 50% of "Infinite Pieces of Us."
  • I finished 17 books this year, which is lower than my goal but I was also about halfway thru 3 other books, which had I just focused on one book I would have finished at least one, maybe two more.  I'm proud of how much I read this year and am excited for next year!
3. Watch 25 50 movies (2018 Grade: A-)
  • Watch 3 movies - We watched 7 movies over the past two months "Journey to the Center of the Earth," "The Grinch," "Ralph Breaks the Internet," "Elf," "Christmas Chronicles," "Polar Express," and "Nightmare Before Christmas."
  • We finished the year with 45 movies watched which is awesome!!  We really made an effort to watch more movies together as a family and the boys are all really great at the theater now.  They are excited to see more movies this year, as am I!
4. Go on 12 dates with Adrian (2018 Grade: A+)
  • Go on two dates this month - In November we had 4 dates - we saw "Aladdin," went to "Fight Night", went to Mod Pizza for lunch and had a date day at Easton.  We didn't get out in December because our schedule was crazy.
  • We finished the year with exactly 12 dates.  We also did our Advent wine calendar in December which wasn't going out on a date but forced us to sit down each night and drink a glass or two of wine together.  It led to some great conversation and helped us feel less stressed during a normally stressful month.
5. Pay off 1 credit card and my student loans (2018 Grade: A+)
  • Help Adrian work at least 3 hours of OT each week - I lost track of how much Adrian worked, but he did a lot of overtime these past two months.  We will refocus on 3 hours each week when we finish with all of these holidays!
  • Sub at least two days each week this month - I also lost track of how many days I subbed but again it was a lot!  I subbed just about everyday I could in Nov and Dec and it was both fun and tiring.  I'm going to pull back a little in Jan, hoping to limit it to 2 days each week instead of 3.  But if I can I may do 3 some weeks, our bank account loves it!
  • Spend as little as possible - We did pretty good sticking to our budget for both months and keeping Christmas under control.  We paid off my student loan and 1 credit card this year and most important did not incur any new debt!  We are solidly on our way to paying off another credit card and also increasing our savings so we can start renovating our house.
6. Start my CEUs for Silver Sneakers and do the online training for water aerobics (2018 Grade: A+)
  • Do the online Silver Sneakers Chair Yoga training - ran out of time
  • Do the online Silver Sneakers Water in Motion training - ran out of time
  • I am really proud of how much I did for my classes this year!  I got all I needed to done and did some extra.  I am still hoping to get these two certifications but for now they are on hold while I refocus on my current classes.
7. Clean out the house (2018 Grade: A+)
  • Clean out AJ & Zak's room - Done!
  • Clean out mine & Adrian's room - on hold until after the holidays
  • We did a great job of cleaning out the house and getting rid of a bunch of stuff.  We still have to go thru our room & go thru the play room again (we do it annually) but we have made huge progress!  Next year we move on to improvements.
8. Keep up an active blog (2018 Grade: A+)
  • Meal plan posts every Sunday - 5 posts over 2 months
  • Week in review posts every Friday - 9 posts over 2 months
  • Monthly goal posts the last day of the month - only the one post for two months
  • I think I did a great job of staying consistent with the blog this year.  Writing my paragraph every night before I go to bed (or first thing in the morning for yesterday) has helped me keep up with my weekly recaps.  I hope the boys enjoy reading these recaps in the years to come.
9. Play more board game (2018 Grade: A+)
  • Have one family board game night - Done!
  • We have played a lot of board games this year and got a bunch of new ones for Christmas so I see many more in our future!
10. Improve my classes (2018 Grade: A+)
  • Attend one Zumba jam session - I missed the one in November because Adrian and AJ were late getting home from a camp out.  I did 10 jams last year, that is pretty impressive!!
  • Switch out the warm up part of my Silver Sneakers Classic class at Harcum - done!
  • Switch out one song per week for the Circuit class and my Zumba classes - I added Mashed Potatoes, Shut Up and Dance, The Grinch and Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree in November and December.  They were all well loved songs!
  • I feel like I have done a good job of keeping my classes fresh this year, especially with all of the Zumba jams that I attended.  I won't be able to get to as many next year so I'm hoping to use some other resources to keep it going.

No comments:

Post a Comment