Saturday, September 2, 2017

Keeping Up With...Family Goals (Aug Recap & Sept Goals)

August was a bit of a mixed month here.  It started awesome with our family staycation and a visit from my mom.  We had a great time exploring local attractions that we don't normally get to go to including the planetarium at COSI, Olentangy Caverens, the fair and a few other favorites.  We had our last week of summer vacation which was a combination of fun and getting stuff done.  And then school started back up and it's been a whirlwind of activity since then.  The boys also started swimming and soccer and no one is on the same team or in the same lessons so we are running around trying to keep up with it all.  It's taking some time but we're managing to find our groove with all of the new activities. 
I did pretty well with my goals, except for one that I didn't even start on.  I overestimated how much time I would have to myself with everyone in school.  Plus I had a lot of stuff to do around the house and errands to run once I had some time to myself.  I have gotten a to pretty good place decluttering the house and organizing it.  Now I need to start deep cleaning it.  I planned to do it this month, but it will have to wait until next month.  It's weird to have all this time to myself and I'm still figuring out how to stay motivated.  I'm sure it will work itself out.
 
Here's how I did with my goals for August:
1.  Finish two of the three books I'm reading (2 of my 14 books for the year) - I actually finished 3 books this month, I can't believe it!  And that put me up to 14 books for the year achieving that goal as well.  I finished "The Bean Trees" and it was so good I read almost the whole book in a weekend.  I also finished "The Odds of Loving Grover Cleveland" and "The One and Only Ivan."  Both were young adult books and very good.  They were quick reads and perfect for the summer.  I am still on the waiting list for "Bad Feminist" which I'm 45% done and I started reading "Americanah" which I'm 12% done.  That is over 600 pages long so that's going to take a bit longer, but I'm hoping by the end of the year I'll be done.

2.  Have family dinner every Sunday night and use AJ's conversation starters during it (4 dinners for the month) - Done!  We talked about our favorite parts of our staycation, told our favorite jokes, discussed goals for this school year and shared something we're wondering about.  We also talk about our day each night, at least briefly.
3.  Continue doing my week in review blog (4 new posts for the month) - Done!  I actually did 5 recap posts this month, I split some of the weeks up since we were so busy.
4.  Continue taking one picture each day and posting on Facebook (31 pictures for the month) - Done!  I took 31 pictures this month and am up to date with one picture each day so far this year.
5.  Watch a movie every Friday night (4 movies for the month) - We sort of hit this goal this month,  we watched "Pete's Dragon," "The Heat," and "Night at the Museum."  We also started "BFG" but since no one liked it we didn't finish it.  I plan to finish it next weekend since I enjoyed it.
6.  Have one family board game night (1 special night for the month) - Done!  We played a lot of games again this month.
7.  Start deep cleaning the house (3 rooms this month) - Fail!  I didn't even start on this.  I will start on Tuesday after this long, holiday weekend.  I'm starting with the living room since we are in that room most of the time.
8.  Have fun on our camping weekend - Done!  You can read about it in my weekly recap.
9.  Have a successful transition from summer back to school - Done!  We are all surviving, no tears, very little behavior issues.  We start with homework this coming week so that will be another adjustment to our already full schedule, but I think we're ready.
10.  Have a fun staycation week - Done!  You can read about it in my weekly recap.
And here are my goals for Sept:
1.  Make progress on "Americanah" and read one other book (1 book in 1 month)
2.  Have family dinner every Sunday night and use AJ's conversation starters during it (4 dinners for the month)
3.  Continue doing my week in review blog (5 new posts for the month)
4.  Continue taking one picture each day and posting on Facebook (30 pictures for the month)
5.  Watch a movie every Friday night (5 movies for the month)
6.  Have one family board game night (1 special night for the month)
7.  Start deep cleaning the house (3 rooms this month)
8.  Have fun on my retreat and survive Adrian's trip to Dallas

These are pretty standard goals for this month, lots of ongoing/repeats from previous months.  It's going to be a busy month for all of us with two weekend trips - one for Adrian to Dallas and one for me to Oak Harbor.  Plus all of the boys activities, swimming, soccer, Cub Scouts, school/homework, etc.  And I'm really focusing on my fitness goals and getting back to exercising and healthy eating.  I'm hoping for a calm and happy month for all of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment