Thursday, May 26, 2016

Keeping Up With...Workouts (Recap of 5/18 - 5/24)

So I realized on Tuesday that I have been teaching Silver Sneakers at the Y for almost 2 months now and I kept saying I would talk about it on here and I never did.  I went and got my certification in March and started teaching when we got back from vacation in April.  I had been shadowing the previous teacher for about two months so I had a pretty good idea of what I should do.

My first class was horrible!  I kept forgetting to count out loud, which they are used to (and I am not because we don't count out loud in Zumba).  It was not smooth.  I went really slow and couldn't think of how to explain anything.  Now in my (slight) defense, I was still in vacation hangover mode but it was still really bad.

Each week since then has improved.  And the past two weeks I feel like I've really hit my stride and classes have been awesome!  I'm holding steady numbers (around 40 each week) and have had a lot of students come up to me after class and tell me how much they are enjoying class.  I have also sped up the class and have been able to get thru my whole list of exercises the past two weeks.  And this past week I even added in a new one that wasn't on my list.

I am trying to find my balance between working on this class and continuing to work on new choreography for Zumba.  It's challenging since I'm already stretched but I think I'm finding it.  I am only switching up the exercises in Silver Sneakers once per month, normally in the first week of the month.  But I am spending a little bit of time each week looking for new exercises so that I am ready to go on that first week of the month.  The rest of my practice time is for Zumba.

This weekend I am taking Zumba Gold training while will combine both Zumba and the low intensity of Silver Sneakers.  Gold is specifically for older or injured students.  I'm SO excited for this training.  Look for a review next week!

Here's what I did for this past week:
Wednesday - Taught a 90 minute Zumba class (combo of dancing & toning), taught a one hour Zumba class & walked back and forth from school
Thursday - Taught a one hour Zumba class & walked back and forth from school
Friday - Taught a one hour Zumba class & walked back and forth from school
Saturday - Taught a one hour Zumba Toning class and took about 45 minutes of another Zumba class
Sunday - Rest Day!  15 minutes of Zumba practice
Monday - Walked for close to two hours with AJ on his field trip & taught a one hour Zumba Toning class
Tuesday - Taught a one hour Silver Sneakers class & walked back and forth from school

When I weighed in yesterday morning I was very upset to see that I didn't lose anything.  But I guess the upside is that I didn't gain anything either.  I was hoping to see a loss as it was a very good week for me.  And this one will not be a good week since we have lots of celebrations this weekend between end of the school year, our anniversary and Memorial Day.  Oh well, at some point the number has to drop.  Right?!?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment