Saturday, May 14, 2016

Keeping Up With...Family (Texas Trip Recap Part 4)

If you missed the start of the trip, you can read about it here, here and here.

Thursday was our last full day in Texas.  We decided to go check out the Lego Discovery Center that is in a nearby mall.  We have already visited the one in Chicago and were expecting this one to be similar.  And it was only with less to do, especially for the adults.  The kids had a blast playing in the play area, riding the two rides that were open and watching the 4D movie.  We also checked out Dallas built all in Legos.  Other than that, there wasn't really anything there to see or do.  I was kind of disappointed there weren't more things built out of legos to see.  But the kids really enjoyed it so I guess it was worth it.

After Legoland, Adrian and I took the boys to Rainforest Cafe for lunch.  They loved looking at all the animals there and we all really enjoyed our meal.  Then we headed back to the house to start packing up for the long journey back to Ohio.  Adrian and I were able to sneak out that night to go on a dinner date.  We went to a Mexican restaurant up the street and enjoyed delicious fajitas and a few $1 margaritas.  Good thing most of the packing was done before dinner!!

Friday morning we were up bright and early to hit the road.  We had one more breakfast together with the girls and then we loaded up and started heading north. 
We took a slightly different route home so we could stop in St Louis and use our Six Flags season passes again.  We got to the St Louis area (Eureka MO to be exact) around 8pm that night and checked into a hotel that was right next door to the park.  We all got a great night of sleep and were up bright and early and ready to hit the park.  We were there before it opened and were able to get in a little early since we're season pass holders.

We had each kid pick one ride that they wanted to do and we made sure to do those first.  We waited in line (again) to ride Battle for Metropolis.  We were about 10th in line but the ride kept breaking down so we had to wait about 30 minutes to ride.  Way better than in Texas but still annoying.  After that we barely waited in line for anything all day.  It helped that it was only about 45 degrees that day so it wasn't very crowded.  We did everything we wanted plus a bunch of extra rides and were back on the road by about 3:30.
The highlight of the Six Flags trip in St Louis for me was AJ and Daniel deciding that they were going to ride Superman: Tower of Power.  It's one of those rides that you go 230 feet into the air and then drop straight down.  Those scare the crap out of me!  I can ride coasters all day but I hate those drop rides.  Anyway the boys decided they were going to do it and they did!!  AJ had been battling with some fear of heights on some of the rides this trip but he overcame that and did this ride like a champ!  I was SO proud of them!!
AJ & Daniel ready to ride Tower of Power
We left St. Louis earlier than we planned and I was determined to get us home that day (Saturday).  I was done sleeping in hotels and just wanted my own bed.  We made really great time, the boys were rock stars once again.  We stopped at an adorable diner on Route 66 for dinner on the way home and only made 2 or 3 other bathroom stops at rest areas.  We got home a few minutes after midnight and went right to bed!  AJ and I were the only ones who stayed awake the whole way home, the other 3 all fell asleep in the car.

We slept great Saturday night in our own beds and had a lazy Sunday relaxing and unpacking and getting ready to head back to school on Monday.  All in all it was a great trip!!  We had a few bumps in the road but nothing that ruined the trip for us.  Would love to head back down to Dallas again for another vacation!!

No comments:

Post a Comment