Monday, August 7, 2017

Keeping Up With...Family Goals (July Recap & Aug Goals)

 July was another awesome month around here!  AJ turned to me the other day and said he was having the "best summer of his life."  I would definitely agree with him!  As I mentioned in my fitness goals recap, I haven't been very focused on those.  But I've been kicking butt on the family goals.  We had so much fun in July, hopefully you were able to read all of my weekly recaps of what we've been doing.  The month started with a long weekend for 4th of July and ended with a week long staycation.  Top to bottom, awesome month.
Again this month I didn't really think too much about my goals or focus specifically on them for any amount of time.  They all just happened organically.  I achieved just about all of them, and if I didn't I made good progress on them all.  I know with school starting in August I won't be having as much "fun" with the kids so my goals will be shifting more to focus on the house.  And back to my neglected fitness goals of course.  I do plan to keep some of these goals for the family going thru the school year.  I feel some of them will become even more important as we become busier.

Here's how I did on my July goals:
1.  Finish "The Odds of Loving Grover Cleveland" and start another book (TBD) (2 of my 14 books for the year) - I did not achieve this goal due to the timing of books coming in from the library.  I finally was able to check out "Bad Feminist" after being on the wait list for months so I read that for the three weeks I had it and finished about 45% of it.  Then I got "The Bean Trees" and have finished 17% of it.  I read "The Odds of Loving Grover Cleveland" once or twice and am finished 27% of it.  I hate having three books that I'm reading so you can guess what this month's goal will be.
2.  Have family dinner every Sunday night and use AJ's conversation starters during it (5 dinners for the month) - We've been kicking butt on this goal!  We had dinner together every Sunday night and actually a few nights a week as well.  We have been talking a lot, but the five official family dinner topics were:  something funny that happened to us, what we want to do this week/weekend, something we're proud of, what we want to do for staycation week and the best part of our summer this far.
3.  Continue doing my week in review blog (4 new posts for the month) plus catch up on all of the June ones that I am behind on - I caught up on all of the recaps I was behind and ended up doing 16 blog posts in July.  Busy month!
4.  Continue taking one picture each day and posting on Facebook (31 pictures for the month)  - Continued to do this and took pictures every day, 31 for the month.
5.  Watch a movie every Friday night (4 movies for the month) - We did this and actually ended up with an extra movie because I took the boys to see a movie in the theater.  This month we saw "Finding Dory," "Iron Giant," "Wanderlust," "Megamind," and "We're Back: A Dinosaur Story."
6.  Have one family board game night (1 special night for the month) - We played a ton of board games this month!!  We did way more than one night.
7.  Do one activity each week that AJ picks (4 special activities) - I achieved this and then some, we did 5 things this month that AJ wanted to do:  a family game night, downtown fountains, World of Bounce, a playdate with David and a Minecraft playdate with Daniel and Michael.
8.  Do one activity each week that Daniel picks (3 special activities) - We did this one as well, Daniel's 3 picks this month were:  Fun in the Jungle, a family game night and the Easton fountains.
9.  Do one activity each week that Zak picks (4 special activities) - And we did all four things that Zak picked this month as well:  McDonald's play place, Glow Putt mini golf, Blacklick metro park and Zoombeezi Bay.
10. Have fun on our camping trip in the middle of the month - This was the only downside to the fantastic month, we had to cancel this due to rain.  We still had a great family weekend and we rescheduled our camping trip to August.  So it's still a win in my book!
11. Go see "Despicable Me 3" together as a family - We did this over 4th of July and it wasn't our best outing to the movies.  But those of us who saw it really liked it.
12. Have a fun long weekend for the 4th of July - Done!  You can check out my weekly recap from that weekend to see exactly what we did.

And here are my goals for August:
1.  Finish two of the three books I'm reading (2 of my 14 books for the year)
2.  Have family dinner every Sunday night and use AJ's conversation starters during it (4 dinners for the month)
3.  Continue doing my week in review blog (4 new posts for the month)
4.  Continue taking one picture each day and posting on Facebook (31 pictures for the month)
5.  Watch a movie every Friday night (4 movies for the month)
6.  Have one family board game night (1 special night for the month)
7.  Start deep cleaning the house (3 rooms this month)

8.  Have fun on our camping weekend
9.  Have a successful transition from summer back to school
10.  Have a fun staycation week

I realize the last three goals go against one of the things I was trying to do this year which was having measurable goals.  But I don't think there really is a way to measure those things.  And they are very important to our month so I wanted to document them in here as well.  Stay tuned to see how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment