Tuesday, April 16, 2013

For Boston

The baby was up ALL night last night.  And the house was so hot because we closed the windows in case of rain.  Then AJ got up at 6:15.  I'm so tired.  And I have a headache.  The last thing I want to do is go meet my new runner friend for a few miles this morning.  I'm going to have to walk really fast, maybe even jog (gasp!) to keep up.  I think I'm going to cancel.

This all went thru my mind around 7:00 this morning.  And then I turned on the news to catch the weather.  And I saw pictures.  And video.  And the name & face of the 8 year old boy.  It didn't matter how I felt...I had to get out and walk.  For all those who couldn't.  For the town I called home for 3 years.  For Boston.

I'm not a runner, you all know that.  But I am an athlete & I'm on the fringe of the running community.  I have tons of friends & family who are runners.  And they are all SO supportive of me & my walking & exercise goals.  And so are the strangers...the runners I see on the trails, in the neighborhood, at the races, etc.  They all smile, say hi, cheer me on.

I can't pretend to know what any of those people in Boston are going through.  I know I was deeply saddened by the news yesterday & continue to be today.  I also feel anger, confusion, grief & scared.  But there is one more feeling...determined.  This will not deter me from walking, racing, and maybe one day running.

I was feeling a little blah about my workouts recently.  They have been good, I just haven't been feeling super excited about them.  After my 3.5 miles today, I'm re-energized.  I am committed to walking 26.2 miles (at least) before the end of this month.  I will continue with my classes at the gym.  And I will do my 3 races I have in the next 3 weeks, then figure out where to go from there.  For those who can't.  For Boston.

Feeling good after my 3.5 miles this morning!
 Here is a recap of the other workouts I've done the past week:
Monday - 60 minute Total Body Conditioning class
Tuesday - 60 minute spinning class
Wednesday - 40 minute Zumba class
Thursday - rest day
Friday - 60 minute Zumba class, 20 minutes on bike
Saturday - rest day (my house needed my full attention this weekend)
Sunday - rest day
Monday - 60 minute Total Body Conditioning class
Tuesday - 3.5 mile walk

1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited that we got out there and dedicated our walk to Boston. I'm even more excited that we finally got to meet!!! Yay! Keep it up lady. You're an inspiration! Keep walking...and when you are ready to take that leap to running, let me know. I'm happy to run with you! (although, I'm also happy to walk with you). Had a lot of fun today!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete