Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Keeping Up With...Family (Daniel's Field Trip)

Last week I got to go on a field trip with Daniel's class.  We went to Lynd's Fruit Farm, a local farm where they grow mostly apples and pumpkins.  We go every year as a family but this was my first time doing the field trip and the tour.

We started with a lesson on how there are some good bugs for the fruit and plants, namely bees.  The kids enjoyed seeing a bunch of bees...behind a very thick glass.  After that we learned about how the apples grow and how they are picked and sorted to be sold.

When we were done learning about apples, we went into the field to pick some apples.  We each got to fill a small bag with pixie crisp apples.  The kids really loved doing this!  They all kept bringing me the apples they picked to show me how awesome they were.  We all followed the instructions & filled our bag then picked one more to enjoy in the field.

After we had our bags full we headed back inside to learn about how the farm functions during each season.  The kids got to try apple cider while one of the workers talked about the farm and the trees.  I was shocked to see Daniel drink his entire glass of cider!  He said he really liked it and would drink more.

We ended our field trip with a picnic lunch that we had all brought from school.  The kids were all talking about their apples and who they were going to share them with.  When we got too hot at the picnic tables in the sun we moved to a shady spot on the grass which the kids really loved!

Daniel was so excited and proud to have me be there with his class.  And I was thrilled to be there as well.  We had a great time spending some one on one time and I also got to know some of the kids in his class as well as a few of their parents.  I'm so thankful I'm able to volunteer in the schools!!

Here is a photo dump of our day:

The group of kids I was responsible for during the trip

And then some other kids wanted to join in

Learning about Lynds

Learning about bugs that are good & bad for the plants

Learning how apples are weighed and sorted

Apple Picking!!

Daniel's class after a successful field trip

No comments:

Post a Comment