Saturday, August 24, 2013

Zumba - Week 1

With the busy week we had getting back to school, I haven't had time to update about my first few Zumba classes.  As I told you, I went to the training about a month ago & started teaching at my gym a little faster than I expected.

Wednesday after I dropped AJ off at school, I headed to the gym to teach my first class.  I was a mix of emotions, upset & nervous about AJ, concerned I would mess up my choreography, nervous no one would show up for class, etc.  I got there & set up my music & I got started teaching my class of 7 (average size for that time).  Most of the faces were familiar, a few were new.  I got a huge compliment during break, one of the new students said she was jealous of how I moved & asked how long I had been teaching.  I looked at the clock & answered 30 minutes.  It was a huge confidence boost.  Of course, then two songs later I totally lost the beat, rhythm & moves for "Tambourine" & had to start it all over again.  But other than that, I had just a few missteps and class went really well.

Thursday AJ's drop off was a mess & I was a few minutes late to the gym.  I ran in & started teaching right away.  That was a little nerve wracking, but as soon as I started the stress disappeared.  That class went super well and again I got a few compliments on my style of instructing.

After a great class on Thursday
Friday there was a very small class, which isn't uncommon for the morning classes.  It was kinda nice to be able to play around a little with the play list and chat a little more with the students.  I also tweaked my knee on Thursday and couldn't do as much jumping as I normally do.  I'm icing & wrapping it all weekend and hoping to recover quickly.  Friday went about as good as I hoped for a class.

All in all, it was a good week and a great start to my new career.  I'm proud of how well I did with less prep time than I would have liked.  And I'm excited about where I'm going.  I got my first CD/DVD from Zumba International and I'm excited to add in some of those songs to change up my playlist.  If the knee cooperates, I'll be doing that tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment