Monday, August 17, 2020

Keeping Up With...Food (Meal Plan for Aug 16 - Aug 22)

 

I'm back to meal planning! I accidentally took two weeks off from planning, oops. There were two main reasons why I haven't posted. First, my parents were here visiting for some of that time so I didn't have a lot of free time to write the posts. Second I didn't really cook last week since we had help the first few days of the week, then I had a ton of leftovers for the middle of the week and finally we went out both nights of the weekend. There wasn't really any meal planning last week, which was fine with me because I think I needed the break.

Unfortunately taking a break from meal planning also meant taking a break from eating healthy. I noticed last week that I felt sluggish most of the week and had a headache on and off all week too. I know how bad I feel when I don't eat enough fruits and veggies and drink enough water but I still just keep doing it. I'm writing it out (again) in hopes of it finally sinking in and me staying on the right path for the remainder of the year. Adrian and I were talking the other day and we have very little planned for the next few months. We'll be virtually schooling the boys so that will be our main focus. We aren't traveling and probably won't have anyone here for Thanksgiving. We're planning on staying focused on eating well for 6 days each week for the next 4 months, at least!

This is another weird week since we still have a ton of leftovers to eat. We debated what to do but since we also have a lot of lettuce and cabbage, we're going to eat smaller portions of the leftovers with salads for about half of the days this week and then I will cook the other days. We're really trying to empty our fridge this week and then start fresh after the weekend. We tend to have a lot more leftovers right now because Adrian isn't eating lunch everyday during the week, he often gets busy working and just works right thru it. I'm definitely going back to having a built in leftovers day on our meal plan to make sure we're keeping them under control and not wasting any food. Since half the week is leftovers, I'll share some of my favorite recipes over the past 2 weeks that we'll be eating this week as well.

Here's what we're eating this week:
Sunday - Out to dinner at Cooper's Hawk to use our birthday rewards
Monday - Leftovers
Tuesday - Taco Tuesday - beef for the boys & chicken fajitas for us
Wednesday - Leftovers
Thursday - Asian Cabbage Salad with Shrimp and Roasted Kohlrabi
Friday - Unstuffed Cabbage with Corn on the Cob
Saturday - Leftovers after a full day at the zoo

Some of our recipes over the past two weeks that we've been enjoying as leftovers too:
Chicken Fried Rice - I've made this twice using different veggies to use up some of our CSA veggies. It's delicious, filling and easy to make. It will probably be on our rotation on a regular basis!

Water Flavor - Pear. I still have a few pears left from the abudance I received a few months ago so I'm trying to use what I can of those in my water. I've had to throw a few away, just too many for me to eat or use up!

Baking - I've gotten more adventurous with my Amish Friendship Bread baking and we've been having that most weeks right now. I did a lemon blueberry one and a chocolate salted caramel one. This week I'm making a chocolate mint one. I may go back to different baking at some point, but this is really easy right now since I don't have to think about what to make. We are also pickling our own banana peppers this week using peppers we got from our CSA. This isn't really baking, but I don't have anywhere else to put it so it's going here. This is our first attempt at this so I'm hoping it turns out OK. We plan to use them for salads and sandwiches over the next few months. 

No comments:

Post a Comment