Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Keeping up with...Family (Weekly Wrap 8/10 - 8/16)

Friday (8/10) Our last full day in the Outerbanks and it started early.  We had an early reservation to go on the jet skis since we couldn't get out yesterday.  Only AJ and Zak wanted to go on them, Daniel did not want to join us.  So the four of us set out with Jon, Carl, Sarah, Luci, Isabelle and Alexandra for an early morning ride on the bay.  Daniel stayed home with the rest of the group for some pool time and also went and helped walk my aunt's dog Barney.  We had a blast on the jet skis!  I was with Zak and the number one thing I wanted to do was not fall over - and we didn't!  We didn't go very fast, but he was fine with it and had a great time.  AJ and Adrian went a lot faster than we did and also had a great time.  Our hour passed quickly and we reluctantly pulled back into the dock and headed home.
After some pool time, we all headed to the beach for the last time.  Our whole house went and we had a great time playing out really far on a sand bar that had formed.  Daniel didn't want to go out that far at first, but once I got him out there, we loved it!  We spent over two hours playing in the water and watching the kids play in the sand.  My mom also took them on a walk to collect some shells to bring back home with them.  It was a perfect beach afternoon and none of us wanted to leave!  But soon it was time to head back to the house for a little relaxing and pool time before we started to pack up to head home.
 
 

The rest of the day passed quickly with pool time, volleyball, packing and eating all of the delicious food left in the refrigerator.  We took a short break from packing to bring the boys down the street to get some souvenirs - they got new plushies and Adrian and I got tee shirts.  On our way home from the store, we stopped by for a short visit to my Aunt and Uncle's house.  AJ and Daniel enjoyed playing video games with Matteo while Zak talked my cousin Lisa's ear off about everything we did on vacation and all he would do when we got back to OH.  I enjoyed some time with my aunts and cousins as well.  It was nice to have some time with them, wish we had a little more.  Then we headed back home to finish up packing and get everyone to bed so we could start out early the next morning.  It stinks when vacation ends but it's been a great week and now it's time to return to real life.
 
Saturday (8/11) We were up early today and all a little sad since we had to say goodbye to both vacation and our family members who don't live near us.  Adrian and I were up and moving early and had the car ready to go by 8am.  The boys played one last quick game of basketball with Alexandra and then we said our "see you laters" and hit the road.  The traffic was slow getting off the island but not nearly as bad as last week getting to the house.  We did pretty well and crossed into Virginia about 2 hours after we left and immediately stopped at a Wawa for breakfast, coffee and subs for later.
 
After that stop, we made really great time the whole trip.  We had a few more bathrooms stops than we would have liked, but we had some stomach issues and no accidents so I'll call it a win for our family.  The boys did great traveling, mostly playing on their devices or watching movies in the car.  Adrian drove most of the way except for a brief two and a half hour stint in Virginia for me.  I slept and read and navigated using my new favorite app Waize.  We got home just after 9pm, just about 13 hours door to door.  We were thrilled to make the trip in one day and not get home at a crazy hour!  The boys were excited to be home as well, commenting how clean the house looked and smelled.  They hung out for a while, watched a show and headed to bed.  Adrian and I pretty much did the same.  It was a great week and a long drive and we were exhausted!

Sunday (8/12) We all slept in a little this morning to try to recover from our vacation.  We had a very lazy start including lots of TV and coffee.  Then we finally had to start the process of unpacking all of our stuff from vacation.  Adrian and I worked on and off all day to get unpacked and ready for the week while the boys played together and watched some video games.  We did take a mid-day break from working to go to the movies to see "How to Train Your Dragon" as the last movie of the free movies series we've been going to all summer.  We all really enjoyed it!!  I read the book yesterday and the movie was totally different, but still so good.  We can't wait to see the next ones!
After we got home from the movie, we went back to working on getting settled.  Adrian ran out and grabbed us Bibibop for dinner so we didn't have to worry about cooking for one more day.  The boys played in the yard for a little bit after dinner and then we got them to bed early since we are trying to get back to the school routine.  After they were down, Adrian and I watched a few comedies and then headed to bed too.  We're still very tired from the vacation!  It's going to be a long week!

Monday (8/13) Today was another day of sleeping in, at least for some of us.  AJ and Zak were up early which is good because AJ needs to be ready to get up early for the bus on Wednesday.  The rest of us slept in.  Adrian finally got up and moving and headed into work while the rest of us had a lazy morning watching TV, playing and doing an inventory of what we still need to pick up for school.  We had a quick lunch and headed out to start running our errands.  We started with haircuts for everyone before school and then went to pick up Krispy Kreme donuts for the first week of school.  We finished with a quick trip to Meijer for shoes, shirts and a few other necessities for the next few days.
After we ran those errands, we headed to Central to meet AJ's guidance counselor for a meeting about AJ's transition to 6th grade.  We picked up his schedule, walked the halls, saw where all of his classes are and practiced on his locker.  We also reviewed his accommodations for the year and she answered all of our questions.  Both of us feel much better about the upcoming school year after our meeting!  When we finished up at school, we headed home and I sorted thru everything we got while we were out while the boys played video games.
After a quick pasta dinner, Adrian and AJ headed to his Boy Scout meeting while I hung out at home with the other boys.  I got all of our school supplies sorted and ready to go for meet the teacher tomorrow.  Then the boys watched a few shows, including a new "Teen Titans Go!" that they were super excited about.  We got them to bed early again, trying to get back in that habit for the school year, and then came down and finished a few things up before watching a few comedies and heading to bed.  Only one more day of summer vacation left for us!

Tuesday (8/14) Today was even harder to get up and moving but we did it.  We got the boys up a little earlier than usual so we can have an earlier bedtime tonight.  Adrian headed off to work and then I got the boys ready for the day and then headed off to teach my two Silver Sneakers classes at Harcum.  I was a little rusty but it was fun to get back to it.  I missed my students!!  We had two great classes and then I ran home to grab a quick lunch, feed the boys and head up to West for Daniel and Zak's Meet the Teacher day.

We started the afternoon volunteering at the Scouts table recruiting new members for the year.  Then after the other volunteer came to relieve me, we headed out to "meet" out teachers for the year.  There wasn't much meeting since we know both of them already, we've had both of them in previous years.  But it was nice to catch up with them, see the new rooms and get our supplies dropped off.  Both boys are very comfortable and ready to start the new school year!!  I think it's going to be a great year for all of us!!
After we helped clean up the Scouts table, we headed home for the evening.  The boys played a little more video games before being done until Friday since it's a school night.  Then we had a delicious taco Tuesday dinner, watched some TV, got as much ready for tomorrow as possible and headed upstairs for an early bedtime.  Everyone read and they were in bed before 9pm.  Daniel decided to have a sleepover in the room with the other boys "since it was a special night."  Adrian and I came back downstairs, did a few things, watched an episode of Grown-ish and headed to bed too.  We have a very early wake up call tomorrow!

Wednesday (8/15) First day of school!!  Unfortunately the day started way earlier than we were expecting it to.  AJ was up with a super nervous stomach at 4am and Daniel was up super excited to start school soon after that.  Adrian helped AJ get back to sleep and Daniel and I rested in the other bed.  We finally got up when the alarm went off and started getting ready for school.  Adrian and I got AJ out to the bus stop early and even though he was super nervous, he was brave and headed out when the bus got there.  Then I got the other boys ready and headed in to help in their school for a bit before I headed home to enjoy my first day of freedom!
My day passed quickly getting caught up on everything I need to do around the house.  Before I knew it, it was time to head out to pick up Daniel and Zak.  They both had a great first day and are super excited about the upcoming year.  Zak said it was "the best day ever! at school" which is high praise from him.  Daniel is super excited about all he is going to learn this year and that all of his friends from last year are in his class again this year.  When we got home, AJ was finally home and he also had a great day!  He said he found his way around fine, had a little trouble finding the cafeteria but still found it and had plenty of time to eat his lunch.  He also struggled a little with his locker but eventually got it just fine.  He made it to all of his classes "before his teachers" so he got everywhere he needed to be on time.  He seems to be crossing from nervous to excited for the year.  I know all three of them are going to do great things!!
 
When they got home, they were all pretty tired.  They watched some TV, played with their plush toys and relaxed a lot.  Zak and I played a quick game of "Dino World" before we all had dinner together.  Adrian was supposed to go to Bible study tonight but I asked him to stay home and help me with the kids.  He got to hear all about how great their days were as well, and I got some new information too.  We finished up a night with our new favorite show "How to Train Your Dragon" on Netflix and then got everyone to bed early.  Adrian and I came down and had a snack and watched last night's "Younger" before we also headed to bed.  Hoping for a longer night of sleep tonight!

Thursday (8/16) The second day of school thankfully started much later than the first day and everyone slept until they were supposed to.  Unfortunately I woke up not feeling well today but decided to push thru my day anyway since it was a busy one.  Adrian and I got AJ on the bus and then I got the other two boys ready and dropped off at school.  Then I headed to Harcum to teach my two Silver Sneakers classes and show everyone my pictures from vacation.  I struggled thru the classes but I made it.

After the two classes, I had two meetings about my fall group exercise schedule.  I met with my boss at Harcum to discuss adding two new classes to my schedule there.  Then I met with two other Zumba instructors to figure out the Saturday rotation and a few subbing opportunities.  It was a productive day and I feel ready to start with all of these new classes over the next two weeks!  Then I ran a quick errand to Aldi to pick up dinner and then headed to the school to help with pick up for the first day of kindergarten.

When I got home from all of that, I felt awful!  I hung out with the boys for a little bit but then I had to go lay down.  I passed out and slept for like 3 hours.  I woke up, said good night to the boys, had some toast and water and went back to bed for the night.  Thankfully Adrian got the boys thru the night routine and got everything cleaned up.  He didn't cook the dinner I planned, but there was enough leftovers so the guys had that.  I'm hoping I feel better when I wake up tomorrow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment