Sunday, June 26, 2016

Keeping Up With...Food (Menu Plan 6/27 - 7/3)

After taking a month off, I'm back to menu planning.  This month started with a lot of quick meals (salads, sandwiches, pasta & tacos) and then eating whatever we had to clean out our fridge before vacation.  There was some meal planning on my part but nothing really exciting to share.  We did a great job of cleaning out our fridges before we left but then came home to nothing to eat so this past week was a lot of scrambling to figure out what we were eating.

But now we are restocked and got a CSA bag on Thursday.  I'm planning our meals around the veggies we got in that bag and some of the meat I have in the freezer to try to keep our grocery bill down.  I'm also keeping the meals quick and easy because we are having a fantastic & busy summer and I don't want to have to spend all day in the kitchen.

Our vegetables from the CSA bag this week were really fun!  We got strawberries, beets, turnips (both red and white), snowpeas, kale, swiss chard and lettuce.  I can't wait to experiment with some of these new to me veggies!  We also went and picked raspberries at a local farm this past week so I froze most of those for smoothies this winter.  I will probably freeze some of the strawberries too, I prefer to do that than buy frozen fruits for our smoothies.

Here's what we're eating this week:
Monday - Sausage & Chard Soup and Salad
Tuesday - Meatloaf and Turnip Salad - this salad sounds delicious, can't wait to try it!
Wednesday - Veggie Stir Fry (using the snow peas & some turnip greens) with Shrimp and Egg Rolls
Thursday - Roasted Chicken with Turnip Casserole - we have turnips from before vacation as well so I'm trying to use them all before they go bad
Friday - Chicken & Bean Bake with Kale Chips
Saturday - Having friends over for dinner, will probably just order pizza
Sunday - Pasta and Salad

Water Flavor - Mango

Food Prep - I made the grocery list on Saturday (very early for me) and will start my shopping today.  I already hard boiled eggs for lunches and cut up fruit for snacks.  Later today I hope to make the turnip salad for Tuesday.  I also plan to make beet hummus with a recipe from the farm that does my CSA either later today or tomorrow.  I will snack on that with peppers & cucumbers throughout the week.

As always, I'm linking up with Laura at Mommy, Run Fast.  Go check out the other blogs on the link up for some more yummy recipes!  It feels so good to have a plan for the week and be ready to go!  Have a great week!!


No comments:

Post a Comment