Monday, January 11, 2016

Keeping Up With...Goals for 2015 (A Recap)

So around this same time last year I sat down and came up with 15 goals for 2015.  I said I would update every month about how they were going.  And then I never looked at them again until today.  Oops.  2015 wasn't really a "bad" year for me or my family, it was just very busy and we had a lot of changes.

I wanted to just ignore these goals and move on to 2016.  But then I decided I should look, maybe it wasn't as bad as I though.  Here's how my year stacked up.  The blue is my end of the year update on each one.


Fitness Goals:
1. Continue teaching at least 6 Zumba classes each week.  I have 7 on my schedule right now and I'm super excited about it.  I know things will change as the year goes on so I'm targeting 6 per week.  That still gives me time to sub and time to take some other classes.  While I didn't track this exactly, I feel pretty confident that other than a few vacation weeks I nailed this one.  I think most weeks I was closer to 8 classes.  YAY!
2.  Finally get under 200 lbs.  I don't know where I'm at right now, but I'm assuming it's around 220.  I've had this as a goal for over a year now.  It's happening this year even if I have to cut off a limb.  My BFHG (big fat hairy goal) is to lose 52 lbs this year, one pound per week.  It's a stretch but I think I can do it.  Didn't happen.  Not even close.  I actually gained weight last year and am starting higher than I've been since having Zak almost 4 years ago.  Sigh.
3.  Get at least 2 new certifications and start teaching new classes.  I'm signing up for Zumba toning in March and I'm so excited for it!  I'm also doing a bunch of training at the YMCA and would like to get either spinning or step class certified.  I'm also interested in Zumba Step, Gold & Aqua so we'll see which one works out best.  Done!  I got Zumba toning as well as the Y Group Fit certification and their strength and muscle conditioning certification.  I am teaching 2-3 toning classes each week and I love it.  I haven't got a muscle conditioning class together yet but it's on the agenda for this year.
4.  Attend at least 4 Zumba jams this year.  That's one per quarter, I think that's doable.  They are such a great experience.  A fun way to learn new choreography, meet other instructors & burn over 2,000 calories.  Done!  I feel like I did 5, but can't remember for sure.  I know I did 4 (Lynn, Lisa Marie, Jason & Kearsha). 
5.  Attend at least 2 classes other than mine each week.  This will be a stretch goal, but one I really need.  I need some variety in my workouts to help lose the weight, tone things up and help me become a better instructor.  Big fail.  I barely went to any other classes other than teaching this entire year. 
6.  Do at least 10 minutes of strength training at home 5 days each week.  I'm going to start doing the 10 min kickboxing DVD I got last year for Christmas and then branch out from there.  I know there are a ton of workouts online and other 10 minute DVDs so we'll see what I'll do when I get bored with kick boxing.  Another fail, didn't even make it out of Jan with this goal
7.  Do at least 60 minutes of yoga or pilates each week.  This will go hand in hand with goals 5 & 6.  I will try to take at least one yoga class each week and if I don't make it, then I'll do it at home.  Another miss.  I did take a few yoga classes last year and enjoyed them, hoping to do some again in 2016.
8.  Continue doing the Sisterhood of the Shrinking Jeans monthly calendar.  This is a habit for me now.  I finished all 12 months last year & I saw the difference.  I've already started January's squat & push up challenge.  Fail.  I finished Jan & maybe Feb then I stopped.  I got stressed out whenever I fell behind and so I just stopped doing them.

Food Goals:
1.  Continue to menu plan every week & cook what I plan (or at least use up what I buy).  This saves time and money and is also less calories than going out.  I did pretty good with planning and cooking most weeks.  There was more eating out than I would have liked, but not a lot of food went to waste so I'm thankful for that.
2.  Use my new water infusing pitcher and try a different flavor each week.  I currently have lime and grapefruit water.  Next week I'm trying cucumber mint.  Yum!  Done!  I have loved using my infuser and plan to keep using it.  Two of my favorite flavors - mango & pear.
3.  Stay under my calorie goal 27 out of 30 (or 31) days each month.  This gives me 3 days to "cheat" if I feel the need to.  I will continue to use My Fitness Pal to track my calories and keep it set to lose 2 lbs/week.  Not even close.

Family/Life Goals:
1.  Take at least one picture each day for the whole year.  I have done this the past 2 years and I love it.  It's a great way to look for the good in each day.  Did it!  Year 3 complete and year 4 is already started.
2.  Continue to learn more about essential oils and possibly start selling them.  I love how much they have already helped all of us!  Did it!  I continue to learn more about them and am also actively selling them.  Love my oils!!
3.  Read 12 books.  My reading has fallen off recently but I have a ton of ideas and 2 book clubs so I have a lot of material to pick from.  I didn't quite make this one but I read 10.5 books last year and am thrilled with that.  I'm sure that's way more than 2014.  I'm going for 12 again & have already finished one (the other 1/2 of the one from last year)
4.  Significantly declutter this house!  I had this under control and now it seems out of control again.  My main areas of focus will be the loft, basement and our closets.  But there's clutter everywhere!  Did it!  We made a real good dent in the loft, basement and closets.  Unfortunately now there is more clutter.  It never stops!!

Well that's not as bad as I thought.  I accomplished 8 of the 15 so that's more than half.  And really the one downfall was my eating, I ate pretty horrible last year, but boy was it all delicious!!  No now I'm doing what everyone else is and setting goals & making resolutions for next year.  Since I wasn't very successful with 15 I figured I'd up the number to 40 this year.  Yes I'm serious.  But this will be more like a bucket list with a few goals thrown in.  More on that soon!!
Happy New Year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment