Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Keeping Up With...Workouts (Santa Race Review)

I've taken a little unplanned blogging break over the holidays but I'm jumping back in today.  I have lots of posts that I wanted to write over the past month so I'll be doing a little bit of catch up.  I also am so excited that 2014 is over and am looking forward to 2015.  I'll have some updates on what's in store for me and the family in the next few days as well.

First up, my review on The Santa Race that I did back on the first Saturday in December.  It was put on by my favorite racing company, Speedy Sneakers Racing and I was offered a free race entry for myself and 2 friends.  It was a small race, capped at 200 people, in my favorite place to walk, Creekside Gahanna, so it was a no brainer for me to do this race.

I got up early Saturday morning to a very cold and rainy day.  I'll be honest, I REALLY didn't want to go.  I am not one of those athletes that like to be out in the rain, I sort of hate it actually.  But I knew 4 of my friends were waiting for me, so I got dressed and headed out.

The rain pretty much stopped by the time I got there less than 30 minutes before the race to pick up my packet and meet up with my friends.  The volunteers were great and I had my shirt, Santa hat and bib in just a few minutes.  I went back to the parking garage with Jen and Keri to put on all my new Santa/Christmas themed items & my bib/timing chip.

We headed back out to the starting line and met up with Sherry and her kids who were walking the race as well.  We did a few pictures in front of the beautiful tree and before we knew it, it was time to line up and get started.
Jen, Keri & I ready to go!
The race went off right on time, as always.  We started on the streets in downtown Gahanna and then on to the trail through Creekside.  It was a course I've done a few times before and I love it.  It's got a few hills, beautiful scenery and is a great out and back.  Speedy Sneakers volunteers did a great job of marking the course, keeping traffic going while keeping us safe and marking the turn around.  They had one water stop which is plenty for a 5K.

The six of us kept a nice pace for the whole race, challenging but I didn't want to die after it.  We finished in just under an hour, 57:13 was our official time.  Not a PR for me by a long shot, but it wasn't really about racing for me.  I just wanted to get out, be active and have fun!  I achieved all three of these things!

This was a very fun race.  I would do it again in a heartbeat!  The shirts and hats we got are awesome, as is the medal.  I enjoyed spending time with my friends that morning, despite some not great weather.  I'm glad the rain held off for most of the time, and that it wasn't super cold.  Thanks again for a great event Speedy Sneakers!!  I'll be seeing you at the start line in 2015!
Jen, Keri & I after the race with our medals
Sherry & I after the race with our medals

No comments:

Post a Comment