Saturday, November 10, 2018

Keeping Up With...2018 Goals (Sept/Oct Recap & Nov Goals)

Remember how I was doing monthly goals and doing a blog post each month?  Yeah, me neither.  I'm only partly kidding about that!  Honestly September and October went by in a blur for us between activities, sickness, working more and Halloween.  I didn't have time to do my update at the end of September and by the time I had time to sit down and do an update, it was October 21st.  I decided to just combine the Sept and Oct recap and try to refocus for November.  Obviously since we're 10 days into Nov I'm not doing great with that plan either.   But I did make a bunch of notes on these goals the last week of October so I know what happened then.  I'm going to try to do the last two months on time and then figure out what I'm doing for next year.  I honestly can't believe 2018 is almost over!

To keep it completely honest, I haven't done great with my goals these past two months.  I have struggled to find a good groove between work, the boys' activities and housework.  I'm also struggling to keep up with my exercise routine because I gave up two classes so now I only teach 3 days each week.  And I'm not making time to get to any other classes during the week.  Unfortunately some of this won't get better with the holidays on the horizon as well as Adrian's busy season starting soon.  But I'm going to just keep doing the best that I can and keep trying to stay focused.  I think I'll jump right in and comment more specifically on each goal as we go.  As I did two months ago, I will talk a little about how I did with each of the 10 goals over the past 2 months and then talk about my plans for Nov to stay on track.

1. Lose 50 pounds (Lost 8 pounds this year, Grade for Sept/Oct: C)
  • Meal plan each Sunday - I did pretty good with meal planning, I did 8 posts out of 9 weeks.  The problem was sticking with the plan, I often pushed things for a week or two if I didn't feel like cooking.
  • Count calories for 26 days this month - I did horrible with this, I only tracked 28 days over the two months.  I just have not been motivated to stick with the healthy eating recently.  I do three or four days each week and then I don't track the rest. 
  • Go to four classes this month that I am not teaching - I actually did pretty good with this one.  I went to a jam in both Sept and Oct, I took three water aerobics classes and taught one, I taught Zumba Gold Toning twice, and I taught Yoga five times.  I enjoyed the variety I got and would really like to work on keeping that up.
  • Lose 6 lbs this month, the last 2 I gained last month & then 1 per week - I maintained over the two months.  All things considered, this is pretty good.  I'm now revising this goal and trying to not gain any weight this year.  Ideally, I'd like to lose 2 more pounds over the next 2 months and finish the year down 10 lbs.
2. Read 20 books again (Read 14 books this year, Grade for Sept/Oct: C)
  • Finish 2 books - I finished one book "First Comes Love."  Other than that I started a bunch but haven't been able to finish any.  I'm hoping they will come in from the library and I can knock a few off over the next few months.  I've read 20% of  "Beloved," 25% of "All I Ever Wanted" and 42% of "Bossypants."
  • Read 10% of  "The Beauty Myth" - I only read 7% in both months.  I'm really far behind on this goal.  Part of it was because I was waiting on it from the library, but the other part is when I have it checked out I'm not reading it as much as I should be.
3. Watch 25 50 movies (Watched 38 movies this year, Grade for Sept/Oct: C)
  • Watch 4 movies - We have watched 3 movies over the past two months "Wreck it Ralph," "Wonder Woman" and "Spaceballs."  A huge part of this is that we are just super busy right now with all of the boys' activities.  It became very stressful to try to watch a movie every weekend so we have shelved this goal for right now.
4. Go on 12 dates with Adrian (8 dates this year, Grade for Sept/Oct: A+)
  • Book our babysitter for a night so we can go out - We did not book our babysitter for a night out but we did manage to have two dates.  We went to lunch at First Watch one day while Adrian was home from work with a back injury.  And we had a stay home date day on Columbus Day since I was sick.  We had planned to go out for the day but I really needed to rest so we got take out, watched some TV and had some good conversation.
5. Pay off 1 credit card and my student loans (Grade for Sept/Oct: B+)
  • Help Adrian work at least 3 hours of OT each week - We did pretty good with this and Adrian finished with about 20 hours of overtime over the two months.  He missed an opportunity for it the one week that he hurt his back.  And he's having trouble getting a lot of overtime since he has to drive AJ to school each day now.  He doesn't get in until 8am and then often has to leave to help with their night activities.
  • Sub at least two days each week this month - I subbed the equivalent of about 10 days over the two months.  Again, I missed some opportunities because of people being sick (myself included).  I also missed some days because I had committed to sub group exercise classes.  I will probably not be subbing those classes as much, they limit when I can sub in the school.
  • Spend as little as possible - We did great controlling our spending over the two months and also got another credit card paid off.  Now we have a huge chuck going towards our next bill and will see that paid off very soon too.
6. Start my CEUs for Silver Sneakers and do the online training for water aerobics (Grade for Sept/Oct: B+)
  • Do the online Silver Sneakers Classic training - Done!
  • Do the online Silver Sneakers Circuit training - Done!
  • Do the online Silver Sneakers Water in Motion training - I didn't get time to do this but I did start taking some classes and even subbed a water class.  I feel like I'm on the right track!
7. Clean out the house (Grade for Sept/Oct: A+)
  • Clean out the spare room and turn it into Daniel's room - Done!  It looks great and is exactly what he wanted.  We still have to deal with that closet but for now we're ignoring that.
  • Clean out the garage so the van fits in it - Done!  I'm so thankful my van is in the garage now that it's cold in the mornings!
  • Clean out AJ & Zak's room - Almost done, just have to finish their closet.
8. Keep up an active blog (Grade for Sept/Oct: B+)
  • Meal plan posts every Sunday - I did 8 posts of the 9 Sundays in those two months.
  • Week in review posts every Friday - I was able to get all 8 posts done!!
  • Monthly goal posts the last day of the month - Obviously I totally missed this one last month but even though it's late I'm getting it done this month.
9. Play more board game (Grade for Sept/Oct: A+)
  • Have one family board game night - done!  We've had a few family game nights over the past two months.  And Adrian has been playing a lot with just the boys when I am working. 
10. Improve my classes (Grade for Sept/Oct: A+)
  • Attend one Zumba jam session - Done!  I did one in each month and am signed up for one in Nov.  If I can do the Dec one, I'll have done 12 jams in 12 months!
  • Start a new Silver Sneakers cardio class at the Harcum Center - Done!  And the students are loving the class.  I've started changing it up a bit and it's going great.
  • Start 2 new Zumba classes at Eastpointe Church - Done and it's going great!!  I have about 30 regular attenders for the classes, although the Thursday one is way more popular than the Saturday morning one.  It was a lot more work than I expected but I've finally found my groove and it's going along well now.
  • Do my water aerobics training online - Haven't gotten to this yet but will get there one day.
11.  Continue the family fun of the summer
  • Do one activity each week that one family member chooses - We did one choice for each person but it was getting super stressful so we tabled it after a few weeks.  We will just do activities when the boys are off from school to keep ourselves sane.
  • Watch one movie each week that one family member chooses - We lumped this in to the activities so if people wanted to do a movie one week that was fine.  Again, we just don't have time to watch a movie every weekend.
  • Keep up with school work as well - So far things are going amazing!  AJ and Daniel both got straight A's for the first quarter and Zak got great feedback as well.  AJ is active in basketball and Scouts and just joined Model UN at school.  Daniel had a great soccer season & is active in Martial Arts.  He was also selected as a member of the safety patrol for school.  Zak also had a great soccer season and is still active in Martial Arts and Boy Scouts.  He also just joined the school rec wrestling team which will think will be a great fit for him!
And here are my goals for Nov:

1. Lose 50 10 pounds
  • Meal plan each Sunday
  • Count calories for 21 days this month
  • Go to two classes this month that I am not teaching
  • Lose 1 pound this month
2. Read 20 books again
  • Finish 3 books - "Beloved," "All I Ever Wanted" and "Bossypants"
  • Read 10% of  "The Beauty Myth"
3. Watch 25 50 movies (Watched 38 movies this year, Grade for Sept/Oct: C)
  • Watch 3 movies
4. Go on 12 dates with Adrian
  • Go on two dates this month - seeing "Aladdin" and our rescheduled day date on Veteran's Day
5. Pay off 1 credit card and my student loans
  • Help Adrian work at least 3 hours of OT each week
  • Sub at least two days each week this month
  • Spend as little as possible
6. Start my CEUs for Silver Sneakers and do the online training for water aerobics
  • Do the online Silver Sneakers Chair Yoga training
  • Do the online Silver Sneakers Water in Motion training
7. Clean out the house
  • Clean out AJ & Zak's room
  • Clean out mine & Adrian's room
8. Keep up an active blog
  • Meal plan posts every Sunday
  • Week in review posts every Friday
  • Monthly goal posts the last day of the month
9. Play more board game
  • Have one family board game night
10. Improve my classes
  • Attend one Zumba jam session
  • Switch out the warm up part of my Silver Sneakers Classic class at Harcum
  • Switch out one song per week for the Circuit class and my Zumba classes

No comments:

Post a Comment